Coloring and bleaching can do a number on your strands. Colored hair is usually drier and more prone to breakage than virgin locks, so caring for your dyed hair will require a little extra work.
Whether you’re just adding highlights, going for a trendy ombre or planning an all-over color transformation, here are our top tips on how to take care of bleached and dyed hair.
Color-treating hair involves bleach or other chemicals. This means your strands undergo quite a bit of stress to get that new color you love. Colored hair tends to be DRY and Prone to Damage and Breakage. After a few weeks of shampooing, styling, and getting out and about in the sun, that shiny, salon-fresh color you love can start to Fade, becoming Dull and Brassy-looking.
So whether you have a few light highlights or a completely different color from your natural strands, a little extra TLC is in order.
How to Prep Your Hair before Colour
Since bleaching and dyeing can be damaging to your hair, starting with the healthiest hair possible will yield better results. Before you take the plunge, follow these tips.
- Use clarifying shampoos and conditioners. Remove product buildup and give your hair a clean, healthy canvas for your color by washing with clarifying products.
- Deep condition often. Bleaching and dyeing strip the hair’s cuticle of the oils and nutrients that keep it looking soft and healthy. Deep conditioning before coloring your hair can help it hold onto more moisture without hindering the process.
- Apply a Hair Mask to dry hair the day before hair colour to ensure your hair has optimum hydration before colouring.
How to Maintain Your Color
Once you’ve dyed or bleached your hair, keeping it soft, shiny and brass-free are going to be your top priorities. Here’s how to take care of dyed hair to keep your color fresh and healthy.
1. Look for Nourishing Shampoos and Conditioners.
Certain products can strip your hair of its natural oils. Since your dyed locks are already going to be extra parched, make sure to use moisturizing products to help nourish colored hair. Replenish moisture with a color-safe Nourishing Sulfate Free Shampoo and conditioner formulated with vital nutrients and silk protein. If your hair feels greasy in between washes, try Dry Shampoo in between washes to keep your style fresh.
2. Deep Condition.
To deeply condition your hair, try a Leave-in Conditioner to help strengthen and protect against heat. For extra nourishment, try a hydrating hair mask to help transform damaged, breakage-prone hair into a stronger, restored hair.
3. Use Color-Safe Products to Neutralize Brassiness.
Depending on your hair color, look for products designed for your specific shade. Washing and conditioning with color-safe shampoos and conditioners can help prevent fading, prolong your color and restore multi-faceted shine to your locks. Use ALFAPARF MILANO Pigments you can Routinely mix with your shampoo or hair mask to help reveal multidimensional shine.
4. Protect Your Color from Environmental Factors.
Sun exposure and even chemicals like chlorine can alter the shade of your dyed hair and lead to brassy tones. Protect your colored hair with a hat or a UV-filtering hair product, and use a clarifying shampoo after swimming in a chlorinated pool.